Dear Mr. Clegg
- You have stated that the 1,000 plus amendments to the bill mean that it is a very different one, to that originally presented to Parliament. Why is it that the number of Royal colleges (of doctors, nurses and allied health professionals) who are in opposition to the bill has increased exponentially with the number of amendments?
- I have been told that never in the history of any country, have so many respected doctors, nurses and allied health professionals stood shoulder to shoulder, in opposition to political restructuring of a health care system. The public holds the NHS and those who work in it in high esteem – why do you feel that so many health professionals are wrong?
- Why did you and the conservative party state that you would not inflict a top down reorganization of the NHS in the manifesto, coalition agreement and last Queen’s speech and then do the complete opposite?
- Having not been open and honest with us about your intentions for the NHS, how do you expect us to believe that you are now telling us the truth about the Bill or anything else?
- Do you think that a successful company like Apple or Microsoft or Google would ever contemplate a reorganization on this scale, if their most prized work force warned them that the changes would result in poor quality products only available to a minority of the rich?
- Do you really think the people of this country will ever forgive you for undermining the core values that have been enshrined in the NHS for the last 60 years?
- Do you know what it feels like to be sick or have a sick child and not know if your health policy will pay for the best available treatment?
- Have you ever lived and worked in a country where health care is based on a market economy and people choose their jobs based on the healthcare package that is attached to the job?
- Your grass-roots party members have made their feelings clear at your recent Spring Conference. Do you plan to ignore them?
- Is it true that the Lib Dem party has recently received at least one very large donation from a company that stands to gain from the changes imposed by the Health and Social Care Bill?
- Have you personally ever received funding from a Heath Care organization?
- If GPs are to be empowered to make clinical and commissioning decisions by the bill why do they want the bill to be stopped?
- Why do you (still) show greater loyalty to Andrew Lansley (who has consitently ‘missold’ the HSC bill and concealed the ‘risk register’ from the public) than to both the NHS (valued by the nation and described independently by OECD as one of the most effective and efficient health services in the world) and your own party, that has voted against these radical ‘reforms’ at two annual conferences?
Questions courtesy of Dr Maggie Ireland MBBS MRCP MSc MD FFPH Public Health Geneticist and Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health
And Public Health For the NHS
Please add your own questions in the comments below